Lewinsville Logo

Our History


The Lewinsville Presbyterian Church, founded in 1846, was faced with an opportunity in 1966 to acquire the adjacent Hammond-Eglin property which consisted of approximately four acres of land and a large wooden farm house. At the time, the church’s congregation had no identified need for this additional property, but they did have a vision of establishing a local mission outreach project.


By 1975, the church concluded that affordable housing for senior citizens was the one most unmet need existing in the rapidly growing and increasingly affluent McLean community. With faith, some land, and a strong commitment to establishing affordable housing for senior citizens, the church established in 1975 a legally separate, non-profit, corporation to turn this vision into a reality – The Lewinsville Retirement Residence (LRR) was born.


After about three years of planning, design and construction, LRR opened to its first residents in September 1980. This 143-apartment facility provides a safe, secure, affordable and aesthetically pleasing environment, designed to meet the needs of elderly persons without regard to their racial, social, ethnic, political or religious backgrounds, thus contributing to their continued independence and dignity.